- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Bars
"I'm so used to boiling rhubarb I didn't read the recipe first. Mine had rhubarb disributed evenly through them and they tasted very good too. I won'boil them next time I make this."
"These were absolutely delish! I love strawberry rhubarb pie so I cut the rhubarb to 4 cups and added 2 cups of strawberries. I used fresh rhubarb and fresh strawberries. I think frozen would have added too much moisture. There is a lot of sugar but it was worth it. Next time I'll use whipped cream and lose the extra 1/2 cup of sugar. Also, 36 bars from a 13x9 baking dish makes them more like cubes. If you are counting carbs 1 "bar" is more like 70 carbs."
"These bars are awesome. The rhubarb taste is lovely. I did cut back on the amount of sugar in the filling - but just because I like it a little more tart. I am going to try cutting back about 1/4 on the base ingredients just so it is not quite so thick. Thank you for a great recipe! We will be enjoying these often."
"These are very rich but very tasty. I'm not a fan of the cream cheese so I leave the cream cheese out and top with the sweetened whip cream with a touch of vanilla (I leave out a little of the sugar from the topping)"
"I made these today for my birthday treat. I thought they were great. The whole family gave them 5 stars! They were worth the little extra time it took to make them!"