Rhubarb Custard Bars Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Bars(36)
Sort By :
I made this recipe after reading all the great reviews. I was very disappointed in these bars All the butter and whipping cream overpowered the rhubarb. There is way too much crust for this recipe, half the amount would be much better. Also, since these bars have to be stored in the fridge, the chilled crust ended up being hard. Would not make these again. I'll save my rhubarb for recipes where the rhubarb can really shine.
I have been making this EVERY year when the rhubarb is ready...This is the ONLY rhubarb recipe I make! It never disappoints, even the finickiest rhubarb eaters LOVE it...I should say that I still have the original recipe from the 1998 TOH magazine! That's a long time to make over and over...try it, you won't be dissapointed.
OUTSTANDING. I used frozen rhubarb that I had thoroughly squeezed out. It came out so great that I don't think I'd want to take a chance using "raw" rhubarb...would it set as well? Would it release too much liquid?
I'm already thinking of other things to sub in...can you imagine this with plump, rum-soaked raisins? Oh, my goodness.
I wouldn't change anything else about this recipe. It's simply perfect. And it comes together very easily.
I've made this recipe a few times and got RAVE reviews! I get requests for this ALL the time!!!