- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Bars
"I made these today for my birthday treat. I thought they were great. The whole family gave them 5 stars! They were worth the little extra time it took to make them!"
"I made this recipe and took it to work. Everyone loved it. This is a keeper"
"So disappointed. Lots of work, beautiful results----very bland in taste"
"Delicious! The shortbread crust is easy to make, the filling moist, and the rhubarb adds just the right amount of tanginess. I will definitely make this recipe again, perhaps even using different kinds of fruit instead of rhubarb!"
"Fabulous dessert for a recent dinner party. I added nutmeg to the shortbread crust, and as others suggested; 6 cups of rhubarb. Yes, it makes a lot and if I were preparing it for a smaller amount of folks, I would halve the recipe."