Rhubarb Custard Bars Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Custard Bars
Sort By :
"very good but for a crowd"
"These bars are one of the best things I've ever tasted. I've switched up the fruit too. Equally delicious"
"So, so delicious, my 7 year old says it's her favorite dessert EVER! She loves it more than birthday cake even. :-)"
"Best Rhubarb dessert EVER! We are not really rhubarb fans, but in honor of my grandfather's rhubarb plant, which each of his grandchildren keep growing in our yards (been around for a good 80 years now!) I try to make something every year. Well THIS year, I have made this recipe six times already! It is absolutely delicious. The shortbread crust and subtle custard filling are sublime. If you love rhubarb, this will be your favorite recipe, and if you don't, it still might be your favorite dessert recipe!"