Rhubarb Custard Bars Recipe
Once I tried these rich gooey bars, I just had to have the recipe so I could make them for my family and friends. The shortbread-like crust and rhubarb and custard layers inspire people to find rhubarb they can use to fix a batch for themselves. -Shari Roach, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool.
- 3. For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC