Rhubarb Crunch Recipe
"RHUBARB was one of the first crops Grandma gathered from her garden in spring. She told us kids her rhubarb sauce was a good tonic for whatever ailed us, but we much preferred the delicious dessert she served after Easter dinner. This Rhubarb Crunch was so delicious with fresh cream skimmed from the top of some milk."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few drops red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter; mix until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with rhubarb. For topping, combine sugar and cornstarch and water until smooth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla and food coloring if desired. Pour over the rhubarb. Top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 326 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 104 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC