Since rhubarb grows well in our frigid climate, I freeze a lot of it. I have plenty on hand to make this old-fashioned coffee cake and other rhubarb treats.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Crumb Coffee Cake in Taste of Home April/May 2005, p39
Reviews for Rhubarb Crumb Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review