Rhubarb Crumb Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored breakfast drink mix, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and orange drink if desired; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. For topping, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in coconut and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 270 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Crumb Cake
"This cake was very moist and yummy. I did not add the orange drink mix and it was still great!"
"This is a nice, moist flavorful cake. The family loves it. This is a keeper!"