Rhubarb Cookies Recipe
We have two prolific rhubarb plants, so I’m always looking for new ways to use the harvest. The recipe for these soft, delicious cookies, flavored with coconut, was given to me by a friend. —Shauna Schneyder, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in rhubarb and coconut.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over cookies. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 126 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC