Rhubarb Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in rhubarb and coconut.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over cookies. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Rhubarb Cookies
Sort By :
I made these cookies and they are so moist. But the one thing extra I did for a little more flavor was to sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top before I baked them. I did not frost them at all with the cinnamon sugar used instead.
Followed the recipe exactly. I expected more from this well-rated recipe. I ended up with dry, tasteless "cookies". If I try this again, I would reduce the amount of flour first. The flavor of the fresh rhubarb and coconut was just not there. Threw the whole batch out.
These are VERY good. not great for a hot day though because the icing melts, difficult to pack and bring with you
Perfect. No frosting needed. Very moist.
Made these delicious cookies with a bit of hesitation - didn't know if they would turn out because I had never tried rhubarb, but they turned out great and tasted so yummy. I recommend cutting the rhubarb small to make more even cookies. Very good; everyone enjoyed these.