Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
My daughter gave me the recipe for this moist coffee cake. It mixes up quickly and is ideal for the family's weekend breakfast. The tangy rhubarb and crunchy nuts are nice accents. -Page Alexander, Baldwin City, Kansas
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 195 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC