Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 195 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Coffee Cake
"this turned out really well... but I noticed in the directions to add cinnamon. the only cinnamon listed was for the toppping ~ SO I just didnt add any ~~ I also used whole milk instead of buttermilk and it tasted GREAT!!"