Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Caramel Sauce Recipe
Growing up, this recipe was a favorite of mine. I couldn't wait for the rhubarb to ripen so Mom could bake this delicious coffee cake. Now this special recipe is part of my own collection. —Angie Fehr, Ottosen, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in rhubarb. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- 4. For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with warm coffee cake. Yield: 18 servings (1-2/3 cups sauce).
1 piece with 4-1/2 teaspoons sauce equals 336 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC