- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in rhubarb. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with warm coffee cake. Yield: 18 servings (1-2/3 cups sauce).
Reviews for Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Caramel Sauce
"moist and tasty"
"Wow, this was fantastic. Moist and the caramel sauce really makes it."
"This was delicious!!! Will definitely make again. Yummy"
"I have a recipe like this from my grandma. Hers has walnuts in the topping so I added walnuts. Of course the caramel sauce makes it wonderful."
"I found this recipe a couple years ago and made it. It was the first recipe I had ever used rhubarb in. It was an instant hit. Last year, when I had rhubarb I could not find the recipe again. I was so disappointed! I tried some other recipes and they were not nearly as good. Glad I found this one again. I have to make 2 cakes because it goes so quickly in my large family. I highly recommend this. As others have said, it does not need the caramel but it makes even better."