Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in rhubarb. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with warm coffee cake. Yield: 18 servings (1-2/3 cups sauce).
Reviews for Rhubarb Coffee Cake with Caramel Sauce
Sort By :
moist and tasty
Wow, this was fantastic. Moist and the caramel sauce really makes it.
This was delicious!!! Will definitely make again. Yummy
I have a recipe like this from my grandma. Hers has walnuts in the topping so I added walnuts. Of course the caramel sauce makes it wonderful.
I found this recipe a couple years ago and made it. It was the first recipe I had ever used rhubarb in. It was an instant hit. Last year, when I had rhubarb I could not find the recipe again. I was so disappointed! I tried some other recipes and they were not nearly as good. Glad I found this one again. I have to make 2 cakes because it goes so quickly in my large family. I highly recommend this. As others have said, it does not need the caramel but it makes even better.