Rhubarb Coffee Cake for a Crowd Recipe
"I adapted several coffee cake recipes to come up with this tender treat," notes Deb Quest of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. It's so moist and yummy that even people who usually don't care for rhubarb (like me!) ask for seconds."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- 2. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. May be frozen for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 coffee cakes, 18 servings, 9 per cake.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 251 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC