Rhubarb Coffee Cake for a Crowd Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb. Pour into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. May be frozen for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 coffee cakes, 18 servings, 9 per cake.
Reviews for Rhubarb Coffee Cake for a Crowd(3)
Sort By :
This was very good and I will definately make it again. It made so the house smell so good while it was cooking.
Have made it several times and it always disappears quickly. It's always better after sitting for a couple of hours or even overnight. When using frozen rhubarb I increase the rhubarb by 1/2 cup.
Greeted at work with a clean pan within 2 hours of bringing it in. Wonderful, easy recipe!