Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
My daughter gave me the recipe for this moist coffee cake. It mixes up quickly and is ideal for the family's weekend breakfast. The tangy rhubarb and crunchy nuts are nice accents. -Page Alexander, Baldwin City, Kansas
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Coffee Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1994, p33
Reviews for Rhubarb Coffee Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 26, 2011
this turned out really well... but I noticed in the directions to add cinnamon. the only cinnamon listed was for the toppping ~ SO I just didnt add any ~~ I also used whole milk instead of buttermilk and it tasted GREAT!!