My mother made this cobbler for hay balers at lunchtime and for her quilt club. I've shared the recipe with many friends and they say it's now one of their favorites.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream or ice cream, optional
- Place rhubarb in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle 1 cup sugar
- over and dot with butter. In a bowl, cream shortening and remaining
- sugar. Beat in egg. Sift together flour and baking powder; add
- alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Drop by tablespoonfuls
- over rhubarb. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes. Serve warm with
- whipped cream or ice cream if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Variation: Cherries, peaches or apricots can be substituted for the rhubarb.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 267 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.