- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rhubarb, onion and raisins. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 cups.
Originally published as Rhubarb Chutney in Country Woman March/April 2002, p29
Reviews for Rhubarb Chutney
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 17, 2011
"I really like this recipe and would like to perserve it to eat later in the winter, does anyone have any ideas on how to change the recipe to do this?"