- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rhubarb, onion and raisins. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in food coloring if desired. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 cups.
Originally published as Rhubarb Chutney in Country Woman March/April 2002, p29
Reviews for Rhubarb Chutney
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 17, 2011
I really like this recipe and would like to perserve it to eat later in the winter, does anyone have any ideas on how to change the recipe to do this?