Rhubarb Cherry Pie Recipe
When missionary friends dropped by unexpected last summer, this pie is what I served for dessert. I first made it for a church gathering 20 years ago—ever since, everyone's looked for it! As a young girl, I dreamed of being able to make pies like my mother. (Her rolling pin, which I inherited, was 2 ft. long and 8 in. wide!) In fact, this is Mom's rhubarb strawberry pie recipe with cherries instead. I love rhubarb! My husband and I—our three children are 21, 18 and 11—have a 30-acre farm, with hay and cattle, in addition to our city jobs, and I grow eight hills of rhubarb.
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart red cherries, drained
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients; let stand for 15 minutes. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; add filling. Top with a lattice crust; flute the edges.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 433 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Cherry Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC