- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- ALMOND TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and allspice. Fold in pie filling and rhubarb.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt; stir in the cream and extract just until a soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls over cherry mixture; sprinkle with almonds and remaining sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb Cherry Cobbler
"CakeLady 11290 ~ Diced tart apple makes a decent substitute for rhubarb.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"I hate rhubarb can I substitute something else ?"
"one of the best"
"The cobbler topping was so soft and delicious, the whipping cream is a wonderful addition! For the fruit mixture I used 2 cups of homemade cherry pie filling, 4 cups of rhubarb with 1 tbsp of flour, it was tart and a perfect balance to the topping, which I halved and baked in my round casserole dish, 30 minutes was perfect."
"I had to halve this recipe and make it in an 8" square pan since I didn't have enough rhubarb. I love the dumplings, slight almond flavor nicely offsets the sweet/tart of the filling. Think I'll try it with other fruit combinations too."