Rhubarb Cake with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon-sugar
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- 3. For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in lemon peel and nutmeg. Serve warm with cake. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 each: 408 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Rhubarb Cake with Lemon Sauce
"This cake was delicious - it had such rich flavour from the buttermilk but it wasn't heavy. The sauce was the perfect balance, and silky in texture..... Got lots of compliments from my visitors!"
"Excellent cake. Substituted gluten free flour and it still worked out great."
"I might leave out the nutmeg, but otherwise, melts in the mouth. My husband told me after one bite that it was the best moment of his life so far. Not quite sure how to take that personally, but he must love the cake!"
"just made this for friends who said it was their favorite dessert they'd ever had! Need some help on figuring out how to keep the egg from boiling in the sauce though. YUM!"
"I made this for Easter. Could not find rhubarb, but used frozen mango instead. Everyone loved it. Great morning coffee cake too."
"I love this. I had it a long time ago and never had the recipe but never forgot the yummy taste. Thank you so very much for this"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.