Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake(6)
Sort By :
This is a super moist cake with great flavor! Even better the next day!
I made this 2 times and found that I had to bake much longer then 30min, more like 45 min. I has been a hit at my house, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream really hits the spot!
I made the Rhubarb-Buttermilk coffee cake for a luncheon and everyone commented on how good it was. I will be making this recipe again!
I already made it twice--1st time it looked done but it was still very solid--not cake like. Thought it was old baking powder, so made it again on Fri.-same thing. Baked it according to directions & toothpick came out clean. Not sure I want to try it again & bake it alot longer or what. Any suggestions?
We loved It---great for Easter Brunch--I had no problem with it rising. Will make again~~one of my Rhubarb favorites now.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >