Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe
Take advantage of rhubarb's short season, and surprise your family with this moist and tender coffee cake. There's a nice balance of tart and sweet in each bite. —Cindy Ashley, Gregory, Michigan
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a small bowl, combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- 3. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece equals 287 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC