Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb mixture.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 287 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake
"This is a super moist cake with great flavor! Even better the next day!"
"I made this 2 times and found that I had to bake much longer then 30min, more like 45 min. I has been a hit at my house, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream really hits the spot!"
"I made the Rhubarb-Buttermilk coffee cake for a luncheon and everyone commented on how good it was. I will be making this recipe again!"
"I already made it twice--1st time it looked done but it was still very solid--not cake like. Thought it was old baking powder, so made it again on Fri.-same thing. Baked it according to directions & toothpick came out clean. Not sure I want to try it again & bake it alot longer or what. Any suggestions?"
"We loved It---great for Easter Brunch--I had no problem with it rising. Will make again~~one of my Rhubarb favorites now."
"I made this cake twice and each time it did not rise and was very heavy. It does not look anything like the picture. Is the recipe correct?"