Take advantage of rhubarb's short season, and surprise your family with this moist and tender coffee cake. There's a nice balance of tart and sweet in each bite. —Cindy Ashley, Gregory, Michigan
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake in Country Woman April/May 2009, p38
Reviews for Rhubarb-Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review