- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups finely diced rhubarb, 1/4-inch cuts
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and oil; blend in egg, vanilla and milk. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; add to moist ingredients. Stir in rhubarb and nuts. Transfer to two well-greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Rhubarb Bread
"Made according to recipe, but substituted sour milk (1c whole milk with a tablespoon of so of vinegar, let stand 5 min , while putting together other ingredients). Used walnuts. It turned out really well in a buttered glass 8?8, in which it barely fit and needed foil cover for an extra 10 minutes (55 total) to prevent overbrowning. A more shallow 8?8 might not have worked... It is really good, and I'd feel confident bringing it to share. I give it 4 stars because it doesn't make us want to eat the whole pan in one sitting, and I don't think people would clamor for the recipe. :)"
"It was really good. I reduced the oil to 1/2 cup and substituted 2 cups of the flour for whole wheat flour. It was still very moist and light."
"This is the most wonderful recipe! Sweet and moist with little bits of tartness from the rhubarb and crunch from the nuts. You ask, "would I make this again?" I will be making it again tomorrow!!!"
"I followed instructions but used margarine instead of oil. I let it rest for the 10 mins. after baking and it came out of the pan okay, but less the bottom 1/4". Quite a sorry looking sight!!!"
"My husband and friends and I just loved this! It is so moist and the sweet-tart flavor is a real treat!"