- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups finely diced rhubarb, 1/4-inch cuts
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and oil; blend in egg, vanilla and milk. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; add to moist ingredients. Stir in rhubarb and nuts. Transfer to two well-greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Rhubarb Bread
"It was really good. I reduced the oil to 1/2 cup and substituted 2 cups of the flour for whole wheat flour. It was still very moist and light."
"This is the most wonderful recipe! Sweet and moist with little bits of tartness from the rhubarb and crunch from the nuts. You ask, "would I make this again?" I will be making it again tomorrow!!!"
"I followed instructions but used margarine instead of oil. I let it rest for the 10 mins. after baking and it came out of the pan okay, but less the bottom 1/4". Quite a sorry looking sight!!!"
"My husband and friends and I just loved this! It is so moist and the sweet-tart flavor is a real treat!"
"love this just the way it is!! I personally dont care for strawberries and rhubarb mixed...they are both so good on their own!!!"