Rhubarb Blueberry Crisp
Although butter and sugar were scarce during World War II, my mom would save her rations to make this tasty treat using wild blueberries and homegrown rhubarb.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, toss rhubarb and blueberries with sugar and flour.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour; cut in butter until
- mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle over
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until bubbly. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6
Editor's Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 327 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium,