Rhubarb Berry Pie Recipe
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, berries, lemon juice and extract. Add the sugar, tapioca, flour, salt and nutmeg. Add to the fruit mixture; toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust. Add filling. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 418 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Rhubarb Berry Pie
"This recipe is great! I tweaked it by reducing the rhubarb to 2 cups, kept the strawberries at 1 cup and added 1 cup of blueberries. I have made it 3 times now and we can't get enough of it!"
"I made this pie for my husband's birthday at his request. I personally do not like strawberries, raspberries, or rhubarb, but I made it for him anyway. I followed the recipe exactly, using fresh rhubarb and fresh strawberries. Since I never tasted the filling while I prepared the pie, I just had to hope and trust the pie would taste good!! My hubby said the pie was absolutely delicious and he would love it if I made it again, so I guess I will!!!!!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.