Rhubarb Berry Delight Salad Recipe
This recipe will be an instant success. This layered gelatin dish does take some time to prepare but it is worth the work.—Joan Sieck, Rensselaer, New York
- 4 cups diced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook rhubarb, strawberries and 1 cup sugar until fruit is tender. In a large bowl, dissolve raspberry gelatin in boiling water. Stir in fruit; set aside.
- 2. In another saucepan, heat milk and remaining sugar over low until sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, soften unflavored gelatin in cold water. Add to hot milk mixture and stir until gelatin dissolves. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Cool to lukewarm; blend in sour cream. Set aside at room temperature.
- 3. Pour a third of the fruit mixture into a 3-qt. bowl; chill until almost set. Spoon a third of the sour cream mixture over fruit; chill until almost set. Repeat layers twice, chilling between layers if necessary. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 255 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC