- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in butter. Remove meat from pan drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions until lightly browned. Return meat to pan. Add saffron, broth, water, lemon juice, parsley, mint, salt and pepper; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add additional water as needed. Add rhubarb during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Beef in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p89
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Rhubarb Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2014
"It is probably an acquired taste, not bad, just different."