My daughter made a trip around the world and brought home this recipe from Iran. I've served it often to many of my friends and they always seem to savor its different, zingy taste.
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in butter. Remove meat from pan drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions until lightly browned. Return meat to pan. Add saffron, broth, water, lemon juice, parsley, mint, salt and pepper; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add additional water as needed. Add rhubarb during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Beef in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p89
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Rhubarb Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review