Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Place rhubarb in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 3. In the same saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the remaining ingredients.
- 4. Whisk in rhubarb puree until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/3 cups.
2 tablespoon: 80 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (14g sugars, trace fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
"So wiith my mother in law visitig for a week i searched for a different BBQ sauce to make. Once i told them what i was making neither my wife or mother in law wanted anything to do with it.Once done i continued on with my plan. Started grilling some chicken breasts and basting them with the sauce, Well i got them to eventually try it and it was a complete success. They loved it! Thank you for sharing the recipe."
"I will absolutely make this again, and again! What a unique ingredient for barbeque sauce! My dad grows rhubarb every summer. And, picking tangy rhubarb is a fond memory of mine! It doesn't disappoint in a barbeque sauce! Love it! I did however, omit the hot sauce. I would have loved the spicy kick, but my kids would not! I also placed the finished product into the food processor to grind the onions. Again, adapting it for the kids! Wonderful Recipe!"
"Made this awesome bbq sauce and the family all want the recipe! It's a hit."
"This was just to sweet for my taste. Also very high in calories and carbs."
"Great recipe! The rhubarb gives the sauce an added kick. I poached chicken breasts, then shredded them, covered with sauce and served as a lower fat version of barbecue sandwiches."
"The sauces is a bit different if you just use it for a dipping sauce but once you put it on ribs/chicken/pork and smoke or bbq it. To die for!!!!!"
"I just started cooking with rhubarb and found this sauce easy and delicious. I'm marinating chicken breasts with the sauce for dinner tonight! Giving a jar to my rhubarb "supplier" for a thank you!"
"This was an great with chicken as a sauce, I added some habano cayenne pepper to this and used with as a hot wing sauce. It had an equal balance of hot and sweet to it. I can't wait to try it with kaboobs."
"This sauce is amazing. I just "eyeballed" the ingredients so maybe added more ingredients then called for but loved it. I also added liquid smoke (about 1 tablespoon) and that, I think, was the extra that this sauce needed. I haven't tried canning this but I think you could do it because there is plenty of acid in it. I was thinking of canning it myself :)"
"This was fantastic! I basted chicken drummies over the grill and they were to die for! Recipe makes plenty too so I gave some away to my parents and they loved it!! Definitely a keeper! And so easy!"
"Excellent! Has anyone tried to water-bath can this recipe? Really Great!"