Rhubarb Angel Dessert Recipe
A delightful tangy rhubarb filling tops the shortbread crust in this recipe from field editor Patricia Staudt of Marble Rock, Iowa. The tender meringue will melt in your mouth!"
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Beat in cream and egg yolks. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over hot crust. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until set.
- 2. In a bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to baking dish.
- 3. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with coconut. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Rhubarb Angel Dessert
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2010
"I have made this recipe so many times I know it by heart!! it is my favorite! it has a very unique texture, fantastic!"
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2009
"Whsat an amazing way to serve rhubarb perfect for company."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC