A delightful tangy rhubarb filling tops the shortbread crust in this recipe from field editor Patricia Staudt of Marble Rock, Iowa. The tender meringue will melt in your mouth!"
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Beat in cream and egg yolks. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over hot crust. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until set.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with coconut. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Angel Dessert in Taste of Home April/May 2004, p11
Reviews for Rhubarb Angel Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2010
"I have made this recipe so many times I know it by heart!! it is my favorite! it has a very unique texture, fantastic!"
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2009
"Whsat an amazing way to serve rhubarb perfect for company."