Every year, my grandma hosts a family reunion where these flank steak subs steal the show. They're topped with a "special sauce" that requires only three ingredients. For a quick dinner, serve them with coleslaw and macaroni salad from the deli.
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 sesame submarine sandwich buns, split
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 6 slices process American cheese
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Spread butter over inside of buns. Place the tomatoes, onion, sliced steak and cheese on bun bottoms. Broil 5-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, mustard and Worcestershire sauce until blended; spoon over cheese. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Reunion Steak Sandwiches in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p30
Reviews for Reunion Steak Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2011
"Serve with plenty of napkins. They're 'finger-licking good'!"