"I found this recipe on our local Cattlewomen's cookbook," confides Margery Bryan of Royal City, Washington. "It's a favorite when I need to make lots of sandwiches for a crowd."
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 24 hamburger buns, split
- In a several large saucepans or Dutch ovens, brown beef and onion
- over medium heat; drain. Add water, ketchup, chili powder, salt,
- pepper and mustard; bring to a boil. Stir in oats. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 24 (1/2-cup)
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 293 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Blush Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.