Reuben Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chopped cooked corned beef
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rye croutons, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add broth and baking soda. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat. Add sauerkraut, cream and corned beef; simmer and stir for 15 minutes. Add cheese; heat until melted. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons if desired. Yield: about 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without salt, pepper and rye croutons) equals 393 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 134 mg cholesterol, 1,174 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.