Reuben Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chopped cooked corned beef
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rye croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add broth and baking soda. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add sauerkraut, cream and corned beef; simmer and stir for 15 minutes. Add cheese; heat until melted. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with croutons if desired. Yield: about 6 servings.
Reviews for Reuben Soup
Sort By :
On a scale of 1 to 5 this soup gets a rating of 28. VERY Delicious!!!
This is a great soup! I only needed to add dill weed to complete the taste profile so it would truly taste like a Reuben Sandwich. Also, it does not keep well. The second day it is not very good, so I only make what we will eat at that meal.
I have made this recipe several times and I do not like kraut or corned beef but flavors just seem to meld so well. I have brought to several "pot lucks" and always get requests for the recipe. I have another pot luck on Feb 1 and have already been asked to bring this creamy, comforting, delight. I stray very little, if any, from the recipe.
very good recipe ---make sure to really chop up the sauerkraut or will be too stringy. Also, I use evaporated milk.
When I have kraut leftover from another recipe this is the recipe I make. My husband and I love it!