Reuben Monte Cristos
In Arkansas City, Kansas, Helen Jay uses leftover corned beef for this twist on a traditional Reuben. She dips the sandwiches in egg and crushed corn chips before grilling them to crunchy perfection. "These tasty sandwiches are great with a cup of soup," she notes.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/2 cups corn chips, crushed
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 12 slices deli corned beef
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Place chips in another
- shallow bowl. Dip one side of four slices of bread in the egg
- mixture, then in the chips. Place chip side down on a greased baking
- sheet. Spread salad dressing on each slice. Layer each with 1 slice
- corned beef, 1 slice Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup sauerkraut.
- Dip the one side of the remaining bread slices in egg mixture and
- chips; place chip side up on sandwiches.
- On a large skillet or griddle, toast sandwiches over medium-high heat
- for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and
- cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.