Reuben Loaf Recipe
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 3 packages (2 ounces each) thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Caraway seeds
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter and salt. Stir in warm water; mix until a soft dough forms. Add remaining flour if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- 2. On a lightly greased baking sheet, roll dough to a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread dressing down center third of dough. Top with layers of beef, cheese and sauerkraut. Make cuts from filling to edges of dough 1 in. apart on both sides of the filling. Alternating sides, fold the strips at an angle across filling. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 3. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 327 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 893mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Reuben Loaf
"Wow! I grew up on this recipe and it is superb! We like to use ranch instead of thousand island. It is also very good with turkey and white cheddar. I always keep the ingredients on hand for this excellent dish."