Reuben Loaf Recipe
When I make this bread, I almost always have to bake two loaves so that everyone gets a taste! It's especially good in the winter. In fact, last year when we went to a Christmas buffet at my husband's aunt's housewith a hearty soup as the main courseI took a Reuben Loaf along. It looks so pretty sliced and arranged on a platter, too. My husband and I are crop farmers with three young children. Cookingespecially bakingis one of the ways I relax, and I also enjoy sewing.
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 3 packages (2 ounces each) thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Caraway seeds
- In a bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter and salt. Stir in warm water; mix until a soft dough forms. Add remaining flour if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- On a lightly greased baking sheet, roll dough to a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread dressing down center third of dough. Top with layers of beef, cheese and sauerkraut. Make cuts from filling to edges of dough 1 in. apart on both sides of the filling. Alternating sides, fold the strips at an angle across filling. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Reuben Loaf in Country Woman November/December 1990, p33
Reviews for Reuben Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2010
Wow! I grew up on this recipe and it is superb! We like to use ranch instead of thousand island. It is also very good with turkey and white cheddar. I always keep the ingredients on hand for this excellent dish.
More Recipe Collections
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Sandwich Recipes >
- German Bread Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >