“My Dad declared this sandwich a definite keeper,” relates Kathleen Hicks in Kanab, Utah. We think you’ll agree that the zippy homemade horseradish sauce makes it a standout!
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices caraway rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli corned beef or pastrami
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, chili sauce and horseradish.
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread. Spread sour
- cream mixture over unbuttered side of two slices; layer with cheese,
- sauerkraut and corned beef. Top with remaining bread, buttered side
- In a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat for 2-4 minutes
- on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich (prepared with reduced-fat sour cream and reduced-fat cheese) equals 484 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,859 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.