- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 slices rye bread
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 pound deli corned beef, diced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Butter bread on both sides; cube. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soups, milk, sauerkraut and corned beef; cook and stir over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Top with croutons. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Reuben Chowder
"Reuben's are our favorite sandwiches so we knew we'd love this chowder. It really tastes like a reuben. The flavors from the kraut and beef go well with the cheesy chowder base. One thing I would add would be some caraway seeds or a touch of thousand island dressing - just to add to the Reuben taste. Very good, will definitely make again!"
"Absolutely wonderful. I will take a suggestion to make some rye croutons to sprinkle over. Can't wait to take this to our St. Paddy's soup supper."
"Very yummy and easy to make soup."
"This is an excellent, easy soup. I take it to school on luncheon days and would be in trouble if I didn't. I have substituted Nacho fiesta soup with great results."
"At first I wasn't sure about how this would taste, but it was a pleasant surprise! I substituted Cream of chicken soup instead of Cream of Mushroom, and added some horseradish at serving...this is a great fall replacement to Reuben Sandwiches!"
"An update: It seems that Target stores now carry the Nacho Cheese soup in the MD area."
"I made a variation to cut down on carbohydrates.instead of adding canned creamed soups, I made a broth from the sauerkraut, if needed, one can add chicken broth in a box ;Cut a sweet or white large onion ( diced or chunked; cut baby carrots into small coins and throw it in with Kielbasi, or a spicy Hungarian sausage( any sausage or deli corned beef works well in this recipe). Add finger potatoes or small golf ball size potatoes to cook. Add herbs provincal , salt & pepper to taste. Add fresh green or yellow beans- cut in half. ( canned green & yellow beans work well, just add at the last few minutes of cooking time.) serve with buttered peasant, pumpernickel or jewish rye bread. or croutons. Sprinke with swiss cheese, or sharp provolone, or cheese of your choice. ( to taaste- it ios jsut as good without the cheese). Sauerkraut soup was a favorite in our immigrant household when I was a child. A pot of Sauerkraut soup and peasant bread with butter was served frequently in the fall and winter on cold, rainey or snowy days. Soups were served at lunch & dinner. There were two soups everyday on the stove for us to enjoy. This is one variation."
"This got rave rewiews from all. Problem is not one store in my area sells the Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup - alas, cannot make it as written."