Reuben Bread Loaf Recipe
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 3 packages (2 ounces each) thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Poppy seeds
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter and salt. Stir in warm water and mix until a soft dough forms. Add remaining flour if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- 2. On a lightly greased baking sheet, roll dough to a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread dressing down the middle of one half of dough, leaving a 3/4-in. space along edges. Top with layers of beef, cheese and sauerkraut. Fold the remaining half of dough over the meat mixture. Pinch edges together to seal. Cut small slits in the dough to vent steam. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 3. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 324 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Reuben Bread Loaf
"I found this recipe many years ago in a Taste of Home magazine. It is requested during the holiday's often. It is very worth the time it takes to prepare. My husband and children love it."