Reuben Bread Loaf Recipe
I love serving this special bread loaf because it has the taste of a Reuben!—Armetta Keeney, Carlisle, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 3 packages (2 ounces each) thinly sliced deli corned beef
- 4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Poppy seeds
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2-1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter and salt. Stir in warm water and mix until a soft dough forms. Add remaining flour if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- 2. On a lightly greased baking sheet, roll dough to a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread dressing down the middle of one half of dough, leaving a 3/4-in. space along edges. Top with layers of beef, cheese and sauerkraut. Fold the remaining half of dough over the meat mixture. Pinch edges together to seal. Cut small slits in the dough to vent steam. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 3. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 324 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 905 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC