- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Olive oil
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in water. Add butter, shortening, salt and 2 cups flour; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Sprinkle cornmeal into a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Brush with oil.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Spread spaghetti sauce over crust. Top with beef and cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Restaurant-Style Pizza
Sort By :
I've been experimenting with different style pizza doughs, and so far this is my family's favorite.