- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied cherries
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup refrigerated Holiday Cookie Dough
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 12 red candied cherries, halved
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, apricots, cranberries and raisins. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool to room temperature; stir in the pecans, cherries and nutmeg.
- Let cookie dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. In a large bowl, combine dough and fruit mixture.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cookies. Top each with a candied cherry piece. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Reindeer Bites in Simple & Delicious November/December 2007, p53
Reviews for Reindeer Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2009
"I love the smell of these cookies while being made.Also with all of the fruit, I like to think of them as a Christmas healthfood.I forgoe the rumextract and used some good spiced rum in the cookies and the icing"