- 3 cups sliced peeled cucumbers
- 3 cups sliced peeled yellow summer squash
- 2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- Place the cucumbers, squash and onions in a large bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cook and stir just until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over cucumber mixture; cool.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 cups.
Reviews for Refrigerator Pickles
Sort By :
"I had never made any type of pickles before but after reading the reviews, I decided to give it a try. I made half of the amount, using one cup cucumbers and two cups of squash (what I had on hand). I also did not have any mustard seed. They turned out great!"
"What a great way to use some of the numerous cucumbers from my garden! This recipe was easy to make, with ingredients I had on hand. I only used 2/3 cup sugar, used all cucumbers, no squash, and didn't peel the cucumbers. The pickles turned out great! I gave some to friends, who quickly asked for the recipe -- new Taste of Home fans!"
"The only reason I am giving this 4 stars is that it is a bit too sweet for me. I think the next time I will cut the sugar down by half. Otherwise, this is a very simple way to enjoy cucumbers!"
"These were ok. Something seemed to be missing flavor-wise compared to the other pickle recipes I make. I will say it is a great, fast way to use up my overabundant summer squash supply."
"Made these the last few summers. Very good. I also canned them this year for latter."