Refried Beans and Rice Recipe
My children and grandchildren ask for this casserole all the time. I invented the recipe out of necessity one day using just what I had on hand.—Wanda Jacobs, Willard, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add rice. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Drop rounded spoonfuls of refried beans over rice; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese and onions if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 278 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 923 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC