Refried Beans and Rice
My children and grandchildren ask for this casserole all the time. I invented the recipe out of necessity one day using just what I had on hand.—Wanda Jacobs, Willard, Missouri
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and
- water. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the kidney beans,
- tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add rice. Cover and let stand for 5
- minutes or until rice is tender. Drop rounded spoonfuls of refried
- beans over rice; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese and onions if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 278 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 923 mg sodium,