Refried Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips, optional
- Sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes, onion and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the refried beans, broth and cilantro; simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, if tortilla strips are desired, place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Garnish soup with tortilla strips. Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (prepared with fat-free refried beans; calculated without optional ingredients) equals 153 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 765 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.