“My husband and I love the flavor of this yummy soup,” Barbara Dean relates from Littleton, Colorado. “It’s very quick and easy to put together, and you can add any garnishes you like to vary the taste.”
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips, optional
- Sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes, onion and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the refried beans, broth and cilantro; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if tortilla strips are desired, place strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Garnish soup with tortilla strips. Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Refried Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2006, p22
Reviews for Refried Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review