- 2 cups vegetarian refried beans
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, cottage cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese; set aside. For sauce, in a large nonstick skillet, whisk the oil, flour, chili powder, garlic powder and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in the water, vinegar and onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Dip both sides of each tortilla into sauce. Place about 1/2 cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Refried Bean Enchiladas
Sort By :
This recipe was such a winner! I need some mild modifications because we eat Mexican food all the time and have a pallet for those flavors.I added finely chopped onion the refried beans and cottage cheese prior to baking, and also at a couple of teaspoons of taco seasoning to flavor it up. I also took a shortcut by using Walmart brand mild enchilada sauce. I used two cans to make sure the tortillas where we'll go to do with sauce and there was extra to put over theenchiladas prior to cooking. in addition I added a good deal more cheese on top of the enchiladas, black olives, and chives for color. They came out hot, and delicious with a fabulous Southwest flavor without having to go to the closest Mexican restaurant.
I fournd this recipe pretty boring and a little bland. Though not bad-tasting, I didn't feel it was worth the effort.
I followed the recipe exactly. These were edible, but not what I'd call good. They had an odd taste - maybe the cottage cheese?
These were a hit from Dad to kids. They were happy to have leftovers.
A very satisfying and inexpensive dinner, my four children and a more meat and potatoes husband can't get enough!
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Enchiladas >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >