When the heat of summer hits, I want to spend time with my family, not with my oven! So I'll often cook a turkey, then dice and freeze leftovers for fast hearty dishes like this.
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- In a bowl, combine rice, turkey, celery, grapes, peppers and pimientos; set aside. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, mustard, celery seed, poppy seeds, salt if desired and pepper; mix well. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. If desired, garnish with almonds just before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Refreshing Turkey Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p76
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Refreshing Turkey Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review